250g unsalted butter, softened
150g (5 1/2 oz) soft brown sugar
2 medium eggs, beaten
175ml (6floz) golden syrup
30ml (2tbsp) ground ginger
625g (1 1/2 lb) plain flour
10ml (2tsp) bicarbonate soda
1 egg white
225g (8oz) icing sugar, sifted
Marshmallows for the roof
Sweets of your choice
( I used dolly mixture and fizzy laces for the windows)
- two 18cm x 10cm (7in x 4in) rectangles for the roof
- two 15cm x 10cm (6in x 4in) rectangles for the sides.
- two 10cm (4in) squares for the ends, extending 7 1/2 cm (3in) from the top edge of the squares to a point. Add a door in one of them.
- food processor
- cling film
- rolling pin
- baking paper
- mixing bowl
- cooling rack
1. Place the butter and sugar in a food processor and blend until creamy. Add the eggs, golden syrup,
ginger, bicarbonate of soda and half the flour and process.
2. Add the remaining flour and process until the mixture forms a ball. Wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minuets. Meanwhile cut out the templates.
3. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees c, 350 degrees f, gas mark 4. Roll out the dough between 2 pieces of baking paper to 5mm (1/4in) thick. Use the templates to cut out the dough.
4. Chill for 10 minuets. Then bake for 12 minuets. Leave to cool for 2 minuets, then transfer to a cooling rack. Beat the egg white and the icing sugar together.
5. Join the front and sides of the house together with a little of the icing and allow to dry. Add the back and roof in the same way.
Decorate with the icing and sweets.
I did actually have a little gingerbread left over so I made a few cute little gingerbread men like this one.
NOT THE GUMDROP BUTTONS !!! 😱